1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

CLI passed through trueCall to telephone?

Discussion in 'General' started by Electriceel, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Electriceel

Electriceel New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    Hi, Hope someone can help here with my first post.

I'm seriously considering purchasing a trueCall machine due to ever increasing spam phonecalls which are driving me nuts!

There is one thing which I can't seem to find out, despite reading through the pdf manuals on the trueCall website, and despite emailing the trueCall info email address.

This question relates to what information will be displayed on my telephone when Truephone allows a caller who is on my starred list to ring though on the telephone.
    Will the display on my phone show the number (or name) of the caller as it does at present (at present it correlates the number against a list of names and corresponding numbers installed in the phones memory, and displays the callers name, or if the number is not stored on my phone it just displays the number). i.e. Is the CLI information of a starred caller passed though from the trueCall unit to my phone?

I think that this could be a deal-breaker my me (and possibly for quite a few people considering buying a trueCall unit) as I would definately want to screen who I would wish to answer the phonecall to, even if they were on my starred list (for example my Daughter who may just want to let me know she's popping round in a few min., or "Great Aunt Doris" or mate "Dave" who I would also need to keep on my starred list, but are very likely to keep me talking for an hour or so if I answered the call)!

2. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

Yes, trueCall will effectively pass through the CLI information to your 'phone so it will behave just as it does now.

It actually regenerates the CLI information that was received from the telephone operator so it can also add a name to it if you have assigned a name against the number using the trueCall web control panel. Most 'phones will then show this name alongside the number even if it is not in the local addressbook.

Hope that answers your question.

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Yes, if the phone is capable of displaying alpha the trueCall can be set up to translate incoming numbers to names for display on all the connected phones without having to program them all individually. Otherwise the CLI gets passed through unaffected.

4. Electriceel

Electriceel New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    6 Months on and I've finally taken the plunge and bought a trueCall unit.
    I've plugged it in, basically set it up, and made a few calls to it via my mobile phone just to check it out, with the unit set with shield mode activated, and everything appears to be working fine....A caller gets the shield message, and friends can continue by entering the code number requested. I can "star" a caller, which is stored by the trueCall unit, and the next time they call me the trueCall machine lets the call straight through to my home phone.... only trouble is the CLI is not displayed on my home phone.
    Everything is connected as it should be... i.e. telephone socket via broadband filter via trueCall unit then connected to home phone cordless base station.

Without the trueCall connected, the CLI information is picked up by my home phone and displayed as it always has been ( and checked against a list on the home phone base station to show a name if associated with the number) on my phone display.
    With trueCall connected, the CLI number does not appear to be passed through to my home phone so all my phone display shows is "ringing".

This is a real deal-breaker for me.
    I made the plunge to buy a trueCall but definitely won't be able to carry on using it if I can't have caller display so I can manually screen callers as well as relying on the trueCall for initial screening.
    The home phone I have is a cordless "Phillips Zenia".
    My landline phone provider is PlusNet.
    The Phillips phone caller id facility works fine with PlusNet, just the same as it did ages ago when I was with BT.
    The trueCall unit I have is model "TC2"
    Am I going wrong somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    What can I tell you - it works fine for me. What happens if you leave the trueCall in the circuit but unpowered? I recommend you raise a support ticket with trueCall.

Using the Internet control panel you can assign display names to numbers and have them saved onto the trueCall (via a weblink). The phone should then show the name of the caller instead of or as well as the number.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have an alternative suggestion, which should provide what you want as a stop-gap measure until your problem is resolved (which it should be).

If you connect your DECT base station to the phone line directly instead of via the trueCall, and set the base station to silent, any incoming calls the trueCall intercepts will only produce a very short ring, which will probably not have enough time to get through to the DECT handsets. This has the disadvantage that you will lose handset control of the trueCall, but connecting a cheap wired DMTF handset to the trueCall will solve that (you may already have one available for use in power cuts).

7. Electriceel

Electriceel New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    Thanks for the suggestions Topcat,
    I didn't try the 2nd idea, but I did try running it with the trueCall unit unpowered.....and it did allow my dect phone to display the caller ID
    As soon as trueCall was powered up, I lost the caller ID again.

I did a bit of research on the web, and also delved into the user manual for my Philips phone and found that there was a menu section for the type of line system which allowed the user to choose from five different settings for "network" and "operator".
    The manual also suggested changing the "operator" setting if there were problems with the phone displaying CLI.

I changed these settings, and at one point did actually manage to get the caller ID to work (but only on two occasions) by using values 3 for "network" and 1 for "operator".
    I eventually worked my way through every different combination of settings, but couldn't get the phone to reliably display the caller ID when the trueCall was powered up.

I eventually gave up and bought a new dect cordless phone (Siemens Gigaset) which is working fine with the trueCall , and I've now got the all important Caller ID display!

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I tried a Philips before I bought the Gigaset - and hated it.

9. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Electriceel, in your post of 10 May you state that your model is a TC2.
    I bought mine about the same time (from Amazon) and it's a TC3, could that be relevant? Any chance you could return it and get an updated version?

10. Electriceel

Electriceel New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    No, It definitely was the phone.
    Apparently some Philips models from a few years ago are a bit iffy with caller display.
    It works spot-on now with my new Siemens phone.
    I don't know what the differences are between a tc2 and a tc3 but mine does all I want it to do.
    I'm sure I read something somewhere about a software upgrade by telephone, so maybe an upgrade may be in the offing some time in the future, but until then I'm quite happy with mine as it is.
    Cheers

11. mike2013

mike2013 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Mine works. I have a BT Decor 2200 phone as an extension and on my desk that isn't plugged into the blocker unit. If a starred caller comes through the name and number comes up if I have it in the phone. If a new caller from the local exchange comes in (I have the wild card set for local exchange) then the number is shown but no name.

If a non starred caller rings the TC unit will bleep and I will wait for it to ring the phone the one plugged into the unit. Either way I get to see who is calling. I am now on the shield setting to stop the robocalls.

12. malokran

malokran New Member

trueCall Model:
    France
    Electriceel, I am glad that your Gigaset shows the number and the name.
    Mine only shows "Externe". It is a C590 model and seems to exist since 2009.
    Can you tell me what Gigaset model works for you ?

13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Mine is C300, that works fine. I think your problem is more likely to be some kind of compatibility issue with the CLI service - I assume this C590 shows CLI without the trueCall in circuit?

14. malokran

malokran New Member

trueCall Model:
    France
    If C300 existed before C590, it means that it is getting worse at Siemens, and vice-versa !
    Now your C300 seems not to be sold anymore, replaced by C530 (black) or C620 (white) and other models.
    I wrote to Siemens, and they sent my complain about C590 to Gigaset Germany : I am awaiting (?) an answer. If I dont get any I will have to try (50 to 60€) a new model...

Now I remember that trueCall is aware of the trueCall version each customer have, and also of the handset brand he has. May be trueCall could get a computer list of the Gigaset handset models that have not raised any support complain ?

15. Electriceel

Electriceel New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    Mine is also a "C300" model.

4 years of ownership now, and only three cold callers have had the nerve to use the friend and family number to bypass the screener! 3calls in 4years is pretty good!

16. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Had mine 31/2 years and not a single spam call got through!
    Incidentally, been using Panasonic DECTs with no problems whatsoever for 3 years, was originally using Gigasets which were really temperamental.

17. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    @malokran: Please try your C590 without the trueCall in circuit and see if it all works properly.

18. malokran

malokran New Member

trueCall Model:
    France
    The German Gigaset lab answered me, to explain why my C590 would not show the caller number :

"Our Gigaset C590 is waiting for an alerting signal before the caller number.
    After receiving this alerting signal our phone is activated to receive the caller ID signal."

and about the C620 that I could have bought to replace the C590 :

"The settings regarding Clip are the same in both devices, so that it can be assumed that the behavior of the C620 is the same as of the C590."

Now I will ask them what difference makes your C300 work...

Also : the trueCall support told me "Our unit sends the ring voltage at at the same time as the caller id message" but I am not so confident because 1) "same time" is not "before" 2) I read that in England some phones work with 4 wires (and I am in France)

19. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    You don't need to worry about the "four wire" business, it was only really three wires and the third wire provided a separate ringing signal in addition to the normal pair for some outdated installations. Modern phones only use the main pair.

According to references, the CLI data burst occurs during the first 4 second silent interval in the ringing cycle, so unless the trueCall unit is failing to conform to those standards when regenerating the ringing signal and the CLI burst, it is hard to see how that could be the problem. Possibly the C590 isn't waking up in time.

20. malokran

malokran New Member

trueCall Model:
    France
    6 months later ...
    My Gigaset (which did not show caller id :ranting:) went weak on batteries. I bought a Philips D630 for 50€. This one does show the caller id when plugged in trueCall :yahoo: !!! Also it's color screen is nice, and it is light. By the way, not a single nuisance call since I bought trueCall. For use in France, the small drawback is when the internet app pretends a call is coming from somewhere deep in England (and lights a spot on the map), though it comes from France...