1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

CLI not recognised by trueCall IF certain phones plugged into backend

Discussion in 'General' started by kyber, Aug 27, 2013.

1. kyber

kyber New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    United Kingdom
    I am confused because callers today that are normally recognised were not recognised by my trueCall unit and when I tried to * them, I was told that CLI was not available.

Scenarios:
    1. When my standard analogue phone is plugged into the back of the trueCall unit, all is fine.
    2. When trueCall unit is connected to my structured cabling, all is well on any of the analogue phones that are connected in parallel.
    3. When one of the structured cable ports is connected to a FXO port on an OBI110, I experience the problem described in the opening paragraph. The OBI110 unit provides a bridge between POTS (plain old telephone services) and my Asterisk PBX setup (running on a Raspberry Pi) which manages VOIP services and digital extensions (IP phones, computers, smartphones). Note that the problem arises whichever structured cabling port I use for the OBI110 and even if it is the ONLY "analogue" device plugged in.
    I am baffled as to how a device on the "internal" side of the trueCall unit could cause the trueCall unit to think that CLI is not available. (In fact, I thought the trueCall unit regenerated and represented the externally provided CLI information when calling internal phones - substituting a name for a number if registered.)

Any thoughts?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    It's way over my head, but clearly it is unlikely the trueCall would have been tested in an environment like that.

3. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    The CLI is a burst of data before the first ring. Back when CLI was introduced, it was common that when more than a single handset was connected the number could be corrupted of absent. This was explained (by BT) as the REN of the line instruments interfering with the ability to display.

It is certainly possible for trueCall to miss an occasional number, but in these cases all devices did not show the number. Are you saying that TC can display the number, but the connected devices do not? If so, this points to the lack of sensitivity in the electronics of the handset used, and swapping with a different model (with better tolerances) would work.

I also found with 3 or more devices on a single line, CLI was prone to fail more often.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    The trueCall unit regenerates the CLI for the downstream connected extensions (and can add the alpha for a name from the address book if recognised), so this is only relevant to the number of phones connected in parallel with the trueCall unit (what I call bypass extensions).

5. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    I wasn't aware TC regenerated the received number, however - I would not call these 'bypass' extensions. They are taking a feed from the TC unit.

I have an installation where my DECT base is plugged into a TC in the loft (better range). I have a modem that uses the NTE5 so I would class this as a genuine 'bypass' - TC records the number dialled, but not the durations.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    What? I don't think we mean the same things.

7. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    We are - you said 'in parallel with the TC unit' (which would be from its analogue output). You are meaning in parallel with the telephone line - where the instrument does not go through the TC unit.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Yes we are, but your interpretation is incorrect from the point of view of an electronics engineer - your version would be in series not parallel.

9. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    I didn't realise all members of the forum were electronics engineers? The point bring made is still relevant - my modem bypasses TC.

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Maybe, but I am. I see no need to use the term "parallel" incorrectly, regardless of the audience. For the sake of clarity on the forum, it is best to stick to a common set of terminology (for more info see Jargon Buster - click). Just to clarify for everybody:

When a telephone handset is connected through the trueCall unit, this is "in series". Obviously, in this case the calls that are received on the extension are controlled by the trueCall and how the user has configured it.

When a telephone handset is connected to the external phone line independently of the trueCall unit, this is "in parallel" with the trueCall and what I refer to as a bypass extension. Any incoming call (regardless of whether it would be blocked by the trueCall) will ring the handset until the trueCall acts to intercept it (a couple of rings only; or until answered if it is not blocked in some way).

Disconnecting power to the trueCall unit automatically bypasses it, so that any calls will ring through to parallel and series connected handsets.

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!