1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Charging for Caller ID

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toekneem, Sep 29, 2013.

1. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
  2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    How can they do that when their competitors provide CLI for free (I think)?

3. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Well according to another of our members, Virgin do charge already.

On further investigation, I understand BT will offer it free to existing subscribers if they renew there contract for a further twelve months.

My view is, the service (Caller ID) should come free with any telephone line. Now it looks like if you want to complain about nuisance calls then you will have to pay for the right to do so .

Maybe thats the way they they believe they will see a drop in the complaints to the TPS, Ofcom and the ICO. Typical British way of doing things, charge the mugs, sorry customers to find out the information that they need to complain to the proper authority.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Or, to take a cynical view, if we want to discourage call centres from paying lots of money to BT for outgoing calls, BT will take compensation in the form of charging for the means to do it.

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    OK, well I just tried renewing the free unlimited evenings and weekends package via bt.com/getspecialoffer. In case anyone is behind the curve on this, you have to do this otherwise you will start getting charged £3.50 per month for the privilege.

To cut a long story short, I have bugged out and will try phoning them. I currently receive paper bills (necessary), and the on-line process goes through a complete re-ordering process for line rental etc (including an interesting annual payment option which makes a significant saving over monthly payment) BUT the only options I could see on-line all say paperless billing.

The free evenings and weekends package (beware a trap: there is also a free weekends only option which appears to offer nothing in return for giving up weekday evenings) says it includes three free features (of which CLI used to be one). When you get to the pre-finalisation summary however, it shows the account currently has Privacy at Home included, which will be charged £1.75 per month from January.

So is Privacy at Home still an option for the free inclusive features or not? It's all rather confusing. Heaven help lesser mortals.

6. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    BT call it Line rental saver. Other providers also do it. SKY and Talktalk. You probably have to tell them you want it.

Please remember though that , certainly with BT, if you leave before the end of your contract you do not get any refund on Line Rental saver . They say that you have X number of months at a cheaper rate.

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have received an email which clears much up:

Bugger!

8. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Again Caller ID will be free only if you sign up for a further 12 month contract which ties you to them again. Also Line rental saver is a good deal, I can afford a lump sum but there are plenty who cannot afford the £140 as a lump sum payment, plus if you wish to leave to move to another supplier you lose any unsued months.
    The inclusion of Caller ID should be mandatory and Free. Registration to TPS is Free so (Privacy at Home) will be charged at £1.75 a month from January

9. BigEars

BigEars Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I agree that caller ID should be free; the line rental is pretty steep already. How much does it actually cost to turn it on for a particular user? I bet it's nowhere like £30 per annum (Virgin Rates).

10. Electriceel

Electriceel New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    I dumped BT about 24 months ago because of their sneaky price increases, and also because of their sneaky methods of getting customers to sign up to 12month contracts with big charges if you wished to leave.
    To cut a long story short, I made a complaint to the ICO (which has more teeth than OFCOM) who told BT not to cold call me again under pain of being fined.

Approaching the end of my contract I gave them notice I was not renewing it, and left them for another telecoms provider.
    I now get free anytime calls and free caller display and pay considerably less than I was paying BT.
    I had been a BT customer for 30 years plus, but their cynical approach to marketing and price increases lost them a customer for good!

Take a look at what other companies can offer you.

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I notice you don't say who you went with.

12. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    It must be a company who although you sign a 12 month contract do not hold you to big charges if you break it., erm, erm, erm, Cant find it on compare the meerkat dotcom.

@ Electriceel ,You should never ever say "for good"

13. Electriceel

Electriceel New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    Actually it was just a monthly contract, but after a while with them, and after being very satisfied with their services, I found that they also offered a discount for an upfront 12month line rental.
    I took them up on this offer which has saved me even more money.
    If I don't like them and want to leave, I can. Obviously I've paid up for 12months line rental, and I'm not going to change provider until the 12months is up, but after that I'm free to go elsewhere if I wish

On checking I've realised that I'm not correct in stating that the caller display is free! Doh!
    The company I'm with do actually make a charge for caller display (99p/month) but include the caller display free on the call bundle which I'm subscribed to.

I didn't say who I was with because I thought it would be better to allow anyone interested to do their own research and find out which provider was the best for their own needs but if you really want to know...................................................................................... it was PlusNet.

I'm not going to say that I will stick with them as I've become a bit of a "rate tart" lately giving my Gas and Electric suppliers the once-over, but as I say, check out what's on offer which suits YOUR needs.

As for BT...... I'm going to "cut my nose off to spite my face"..................... never means never. (even if I end up paying more!)

14. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    Isn't Plusnet a fully owned BT subsidiary?

As for the ICO and BT 'cold calling' you - they didn't. As a customer already you were called, not 'cold called'.

- Raymond

15. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Unless you have asked them not to call you and to remove you from any list;)

16. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    Afraid not. Existing customers have an established connection with the merchant so the 'cold calling' rule does not apply. They may have a marketing list they can opt you out of, but this would be voluntary.

The protections you believe you have do not exist, and never have !

- Raymond