1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Broadband interference

Discussion in 'trueCall Classic' started by boswell, Feb 9, 2015.

1. boswell

boswell Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    Do you know of any instances of broadband interference caused by the Classic truCall unit?
    I ask simply as my broadband has been having dire problems over the past week or so and it's been off for the last 2 hours as well - the router dropped off a few times.
    I've checked everything else and just now unplugged trueCall - after 3 minutes the broadband came on albeit with a crap download speed.
    Probably coincidence - but I'm clutching at straws!

Best regards,
    boswell

2. Steambuff

Steambuff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    UK
    I've had no problems. Perhaps the Micro-Filters needs replacing.
    (I have the True call box plugged into the Master Socket (Via a Micro-Filter) and my Broadband router plugged into an extension (via another Micro-Filter)

Dave

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I was suffering dropouts and ultra low speeds (at one point my up was faster than my down), eventually BT found a bad connection in the box just outside the house (in fact, it fell off when touched). A nick in the insulation when installed about 35 years ago eventually corroded through.

4. boswell

boswell Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    Micro filters replaced and no change. Done this a few times and never any change! I've got a phone and broadband contract outwith BT, so trying to get the IP provider to get everything checked. I am suspicious of the phone line as they've been resurfacing a road and I know the phone line was dug up, so that's the obvious possibility. But the phone itself is great, no noise an so on, but I'll try and get the line checked fully.

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    That was a problem for me too - phone OK but broadband not. Eventually the phone went down as well so getting that fixed also fixed the broadband.

It took an age though - line tests repeatedly showed nothing wrong, or that it was within the house and therefore my responsibility. You can trigger a line test yourself from the BT web site, but it's not good enough really. While your voice circuit is OK, and using an alternative provider for broadband, you are going to have a hard time getting BT to take any notice at all.

Presuming you have a modern BT master socket, connect your router at the master socket and unplug any phone extension wiring. See what your broadband does then (it might take a few days to recover). If that is back to normal, your problem is internal. If not, consider switching to BT broadband so that they have to take responsibility for the quality of service.

6. jem16

jem16 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Scotland
    BT (phone and BB provider) and BT Openreach (telephone lines) are completely separate so changing to BT for BB will not help in any way.