1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Internet Control Panel (ICP)' started by keithaguard, May 3, 2013.

1. keithaguard

keithaguard New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Hi There

Just received my new Call Blocker. I have Placed all my Star list numbers in the Control Panel, I then pressed the export button, (thinking this would transfer the list to the trueCall server) Unfortunately numbers from my Star list are still being interrogated when they ring me, instead of coming straight through.

Am I doing something wrong?

Keith

2. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    UK
    Hi Keith when you have added your starred numbers did you do a web link this should be press and hold the blue button until you hear an anouncement that it has started

Export just saves them to a file that you can manipulate in a spreadsheet

HTH

3. keithaguard

keithaguard New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Hi Thanks for replying. I did do a web link, which expanded all the headings on the control panel. I then tried testing the system by ringing home using my mobile, that is when I discovered the system was still asking for identification, instead of ringing direct.

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I think there is a misunderstanding here. The trueCall unit acts in isolation - calls can be marked as star or zap as the come in, and they are stored on the unit itself. The Internet control panel is an additional non-essential facility, and the trueCall unit is/can be programmed to phone in on a regular basis to upload the call logs etc (called a Web Link), where they can then be inspected via the control panel rather than (somewhat tediously) through the voice menus.

Any adjustments you might make to zap or star lists or the trueCall unit configuration through the Internet control panel then have to be sync'ed back to the trueCall unit through another Web Link, bearing in mind that the trueCall unit has to originate the call. A message appears at the top right of the control panel to say whether there are any pending changes from the Internet control panel waiting to be sync'ed.

If you wish to sync immediately rather than wait for the next scheduled web link, you must initiate a web link by holding the button on the trueCall unit itself, or from a phone handset as explained here:

http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/weblink-control.96/#post-352

A spoken announcement reports the success (or otherwise) of the web link when it completes.

5. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Here are my settings that you may have to tweak as i have a different unit

Dont forget the web link

Whisper Yes
    Shield Standard Shield
    Anonymous Caller Handling Do not block anon. callers
    Block calls from International/Unavailable Block International, allow Unavailable
    Security level Standard
    Security PIN ****
    Remote access Yes
    Ring duration - seconds 20
    Missed call reporting Off
    Audible message alerts Off
    Voicemail screening Off
    Scheduled Weblink Yes
    Scheduled Weblink frequency Daily
    Weblink after calls Weblink after messages and missed calls
    Zap & Star Yes
    Auto Un Zap Take anyone I call off my Zap list
    Starred Callers Only Turn off
    Callers Code **
    Auto Star International No
    Skip Whisper No Skip Whisper
    Skip Whisper Code *
    Rejected caller treatment Play unobtainable tone
    Night Shield No
    Night Block Unstarred hear ring tone
    Night start time 22:00
    Night end time 07:00
    Speaker Volume Loud
    Starred caller ringtone Standard tone
    Shield breakthrough key *
    Caller-ID format [no value]
    Call Recording Don't record calls

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Please call it a web link. We need to standardise terminology or risk ambiguity. (I have edited the preceding posts)

7. keithaguard

keithaguard New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    I obviously got it wrong. I thought that by making a star list in the control panel , I could then upload to the trueCall server and that would in turn download it to the Call blocker unit, via the web-link.

Thanks for your advice.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    What you see on the Internet control panel is on the server already, it needs no further upload.

I am not sure what happens if you modify the trueCall settings locally and alter the settings in the Internet control panel at the same time. The normal methodology is to:
    1. Ensure the Internet control panel accurately reflects the current state of the trueCall unit by performing a web link;
    2. Log into the Internet control panel and make any changes to the settings and star & zap lists you require, the message at top right will tell you a web link is required to synchronise the updates;
    3. Perform a web link to synchronise the Internet control panel changes to the trueCall unit.
    In each case you should get the spoken alert from the trueCall speaker "web link completed successfully".

9. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    I guess we could allow a couple of exceptions in terminology
    1. ZAP = Blacklist
    2. STAR = Whitelist
    They are after all unambiguous.

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Who is this "we" of which you speak?
    Unambiguous to you, possibly, but that presumes a common understanding that white = good and black = bad, something likely to be considered un-PC in this day and age. We are likely to be supporting non-tech users on this forum, so there is no reason to presume whitelist and blacklist would be universally understood from anti-spam.

There is no need to use whitelist and blacklist, trueCall itself uses zap and star in its documentation so those are the appropriate terms. Please refrain from trying to do your own thing just to be different (unless you are happy to be potentially misunderstood, or to explain what you mean). Besides, star and zap are easier to type.

11. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    @TopCat, you used whitelist yourself in a post dated 1 Feb 2013 in the suggestions box area, I would have put a link there, but I cannot YET, nor can I use Smileys - they are technically a link

** Links added 2013-06-06 **

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I never said I don't make mistakes.

13. David

David Member

trueCall Model:
    Glorious Devon (Sod the NSA!)