1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Alternative Pre-Recorded Announcements

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Top Cat, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Having some choice in the announcements would be nice, without having to record your own voice to do so. How about a range of announcements, possibly downloadable, and possibly for some kind of (small) additional fee?

2. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I've been thinking that it would not be a bad idea to use the announcement as a medium to advertise trueCall (if the user chooses):

"This line is protected by trueCall, the nuisance call blocker. If you wish to leave a message, please press 1 now."

Call centres must know what trueCall is by now, or if they don't they soon will. Anybody who doesn't know what trueCall is will hit Google. (The "please press 1 now" bit is to satisfy something else on my wish list.)

3. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    I certainly would like the option of having more choice in the range of announcements. Recording your own quite often ends up with poor recordings due to phone(dect/wired)
    hissing and other external noises. High quality recordings from trueCall available for download/selection would be ideal.

4. dpick1947

dpick1947 New Member

I agree with this I have found that if I try to record a message it just does not seem to come out the way I want it to, maybe because my voice always seems to sound as if I am bored stiff.

dpick1947

5. Catmac

Catmac New Member

Yes a selection of pre-recorded messages would be very useful.

Having experience of several older female friends and relatives being harrassed by cold callers etc. They would like to have a strong male voice to block unwanted messages and also to announce they are unavailable and to leave a message.
    I beleive many cold callers on hearing a frail elderly voice are more persistant in their sales pitch.
    Many with dementia etc are not always capable in understanding. It also adds a sense of security for trueCall users especially females on their own.
    An aged aunt recently got herself in trouble with a company switching her phone bills etc.
    I personally would prefer to use a pre recoded message with a different voice.

6. Catmac

Catmac New Member

As a bit of fun I always thought theres money to be made from anybody who could pre record messages with famous peoples voices.
    e.g. John Wayne..."get of your horse and drink your milk...don't bother me"
    Sean Connery..." Ahh yess I'm busy leave a message with miss moneypenny...splendid"
    Arnnie Schwarzenegger "I'm not in at the momnet...I'll be back.."Hasta la vista, baby":)"

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I would be surprised if nobody has done this already, as per SatNav voices. Have you googled?

Welcome, by the way.

8. Catmac

Catmac New Member

Hi Top Cat I'm sure there must be pre-recoded messages out there. Theres stuff on youtube and ehow about downloading voicemail messages.
    We'll have to get trueCall to allow an easy way of getting them onto our machines.
    What I've seen is a lot of paid professional ones and free ones which you download onto computer then play through your speakers onto the phone?
    Sounds a bit messy. It would be nice to be able to load the message file onto the machine or onto the trueCall memory cards?

9. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    There should be a way of uploading to your dasboard and then selecting which message you want to use for a particular service.

10. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    There are some announcements on a German Website.

Sadly you system doesn't allow me post direct links until I have posted at least ten messages. Sorry I'm new.

But google for " bizarre_psychodelische_ansage.mp3" and you will find it.

Some announcements are in German. Others are multilingual.
    The "bizarre_psychodelische_ansage.mp3" file is for the Zap announcement and quite annoying (for the telemarketer). ;)

I used the method described in the "Anleitungen" page and used the online Text-To-Speech "acapela-box" to create my own messages. The voices sound very natural and you have several languages and female or male voices. The service isn't free but you can use the demo page.

11. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Good idea, but audio files can be quite large. I would like to know how long it would take to download a 3.2 MB file like the recording I mentioned before " bizarre_psychodelische_ansage.mp3"

I think it would be better to incorporate either a 3,5mm audio jack in-line or an Ethernet hardware to the next generation unit.

12. Roger

Roger Moderator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    The big problem with the standard zap announcement is that it is said only twice. With many telepests they would probably not hear the announcement as the operator at their end is often not connected until possibly after the zap announcement finishes. To get around this I made a recording using a text to speech synthesizer online and sound editing software on my PC saying

"Mr **** is busy, please hold the line, your call has been placed in a queue [ then included some boring music]......... sorry but all our lines are still busy, please hold the line, you are steadily moving up the queue, [more boring music] ........[repeated this again until] ..........Sorry the waiting time has exeeded our permitted maximum, try again later. You have been charged for this call".

The actual recording time on the trueCall unit is quite long so the message keeps them hanging on for about 5 minutes. Gives them a taste of their own medicine as far as I am concerned. The quality is not excellent as it had to be recorded from my pc via the handset but who cares they can listen to it like that if they want to.

13. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I don't get it. Aren't the operators immediately connected when your phone or in our case the trueCall answers the call?

14. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    From what I know, the trueCall unit can record 3 minutes messages. Because the Zap announcement is repeated twice, you can annoy these phone terrorists for 6 minutes.

15. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I used the same technique as Roger. For my Zap announcement I proceeded the following way:

1. I wrote down the announcement I wanted and translated it into a different language that the operator shouldn't be able to understand, using an online translator like Google Translate.I also added some "nice" words specific to that language. Just Google for these.
    2. I then used an online Text-To-Speech service for the verbal message.
    3. Downloaded a phone specific error sound I found on the Internet.
    4. Mixed it with a free sound editing software.
    5. Attached my phone, which has a 3,5mm audio jack for headsets, to my PC and played the message to the trueCall unit. The direct link from my phone to the PC improved the sound quality. (trueCall should really do something for better quality recordings)

So now when a Zapped "nice guy" calls me, he thinks he has been diverted to a distant and expensive country and even "learns" some new words.

For my Shield announcement I used the same procedure but using of course the language of my country and English (for the Indian PC virus scammers). At the beginning of the announcement, the voice clearly states that cold calls are prohibited and that all calls are recorded for "quality purposes". Only at the end I inserted the instruction that the caller has to press key number X to be connected. This forces the person to listen to all my warnings before he knows that he has to press a key to be connected.
    Since this Shield announcement, I still had several cold calls but they never dared to press the number key!
    I'm now untroubled but know their phone numbers, which end immediately on my Zap list.

I have this procedure from this German website:
    http://www.anti-telemarketing.net/anleitungen.html

This site has also some pre-recorded messages in German and multilingual for the Shield, Whisper and Zap announcement. I recommend listening the "bizarre_psychodelische_ansage.mp3" for Zap. It's funny and demonstrates the possibilities how to create a creative or annoying announcement.
    http://www.anti-telemarketing.net/audio.html#anchor1

For Text-To-Speech I recommend the online service acapela-box.
    The voices sound very natural and you have several languages and female or male voices. You can also modify the speech rate and voice shaping under advanced settings. To improve the pronunciation use commas, exclamation marks or a question mark.
    This is a demo version and you can only playback your spoken text. If you want to download the audio file you have to pay for it.
    https://acapela-box.com/AcaBox/index.php

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Top Cat likes this.
  16. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Not necessarily. The call centres use computerised dial-out, then connect to a battery-clerk when somebody actually answers. In the past there has been a problem with silent calls (when the computer got through but there was nobody free to hand over to) which are against the code of practice, so now they might play a recorded announcement first.

17. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I like the sound of this.

18. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "battery-clerk" in English?

19. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I used it as a poetic parallel for "battery chickens" or "battery hens", ie egg layers packed into a factory shoulder to shoulder.

20. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    To all:

Post here your whishes for announcements. Maybe I can do something.

Conditions:
    • These have to be useable for all members.
    • Only the 10 best suggestions will be created.
    • I won't ask to be paid but there will be perhaps costs for the Text-To-Speech service.
    • Closing date for suggestions: 31. July 2013.

For your personal message read my post #15.