1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

All calls rejected

Discussion in 'trueCall Classic' started by prlovesld, Jan 19, 2014.

1. prlovesld

prlovesld Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Wales
    I gave my parents my trueCall classic as I upgraded to the trueCall call blocker. I never had a problem with it and to start with they didn't have any issues either. Recently every so often all their calls are rejected and when we check the internet control panel the only info we get is the date/time, type, duration and details (see below) and we don't get any caller information.

14/01/14 18:43 00:19 Rejected
    14/01/14 19:22 00:10 Rejected
    15/01/14 07:38 00:16 Rejected
    15/01/14 07:39 00:20 Rejected
    15/01/14 07:40 00:06 Rejected

Does anyone know why this would happen. Their phone provider is BT and the trueCall unit was plugged into a corded phone. This only happens every so often but they know have lost faith in it as they can't afford to have their calls blocked, especially as I'm disabled and they are my first port of call for emergencies. I have currently got their trueCall unit plugged into my phone line just to see if I can replicate the issue (my unit is now unplugged). Nothing gets changed from when it works to when it doesn't. Please can someone give me any suggestions or help. Paula

2. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies

Is it set up to reject withheld numbers.

If so, then do they have Caller ID enabled on the BT line. As of the 4th January things changed at BT, Caller ID is Chargeable unless you renew contract for a further 12 months. Did they do this, or did they cancel Caller ID.

3. prlovesld

prlovesld Member

trueCall Model:
    Wales
    The settings are all correct and it works correctly most of the time as it only happens every so often. That's what is so strange and also when calls are rejected you would normally see an entry in the phone number column whether it would be a number, withheld or international. For these rejected calls there is no entry in the phone number column it's blank

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I think toekneem is onto something. Check your parents are still getting CLI.

5. prlovesld

prlovesld Member

trueCall Model:
    Wales
    Yes they are still getting CLI it works most of the time. Before and after the list I have posted goes back to the normal view of CLI and named entry.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Once the simple things have been eliminated, your next step is to approach trueCall support.

7. pierrot

pierrot Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    ' I have currently got their trueCall unit plugged into my phone line just to see if I can replicate the issue '

This is undoubtedly the best way to check this problem. If it's working ok for you, the fault is with their local setup.
    == = =
    From the FAQ's just in case:

There are a number of reasons why you may not be receiving a caller's number:-
    • Your telephone company may not be passing it on to you. Caller-ID is available on most networks, and can be a free service. We recommend that you ask your network provider to switch it on as trueCall gives you maximum control over the calls you receive if you have a Caller-ID service. You can test whether the network is supplying Caller-ID by unplugging trueCall and plugging your phone directly into the line. Note that if you have recently changed telephone supplier your Caller-ID service may not have been transferred across.
    • If your trueCall unit is running older software check that it is set for the right line type - Lines supplied by Cable operators use a different format of Caller-ID message to standard telephone lines.
    • The calling number is withheld - The caller may have chosen to withhold their calling number to protect their own identity. trueCall will tell you that the number was withheld, and gives you the choice of accepting or rejecting the call.
    • The calling number is not available - The caller's number may have been 'lost' in the telephone network - this is not the fault of the caller. It happens with some domestic calls and most international calls.

8. prlovesld

prlovesld Member

trueCall Model:
    Wales
    It is setup correctly and working as required except these odd blips. The calls either side of these blips are getting the correct treatment. My biggest fear would be that their is a rogue line in the local BT exchange which is sending damaged info through to their line which is why trueCall is rejecting the calls. As it doesn't happen all the time I don't think BT will want to do anything to rectify this fault and trying to get through to someone at BT who will understand what I think is happening. If I can't get this sorted then I don't think my parents will use the trueCall as they can't risk it rejecting calls especially when they could get emergency calls. I can't think of what else it could be any other ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    What I do is have all rejected calls going to voicemail. Mostly spam callers won't bother to leave a message, sometimes the voicemail records a recorded announcement spam call or just line noise, but anyone important is still able to leave a message.

Meanwhile, if a VIP caller gets blocked (eg you), you can still break through and ring the phone by using the breakthrough code (dial # then the breakthrough digits set in the ICP).

10. prlovesld

prlovesld Member

trueCall Model:
    Wales
    Maybe I'm not explaining myself so I will start from the beginning again. The trueCall classic unit is setup 100% the way my parents what to deal with their calls. The starred callers go through to the handset and the zapped callers go through to the "go away" announcement as a rejected call. International callers are also rejected and go through to the "go away" announcement. Unknown CLI calls go to the whisper and withheld calls and number unavailable calls go through to the shield. This works 100% correctly and this is how they want the unit to work. On a few occasions nobody can get through to them whether they are on their starred list or an unknown number etc. I have called them while their system was having one of the blips and I got the "go away" announcement and nothing else. When I checked their internet panel I could see the rows and rows of calls and their treatment which were all correct, but during these blips this is the information we see:-

14/01/14 18:43 00:19 Rejected
    14/01/14 19:22 00:10 Rejected
    15/01/14 07:38 00:16 Rejected
    15/01/14 07:39 00:20 Rejected
    15/01/14 07:40 00:06 Rejected

As you can see we don't get any CLI details, the calls are just rejected. After this blip the calls go back to the normal, correct programming with the correct treatment and the CLI details showing.

The calls are going to the correct treatment based in the CLI all of the time except these few blips. As it isn't happening all the time, it is very difficult to replicate the issue on my phone line. As in a previous message I mentioned that my fear is that their is a rogue line in the local BT exchange that pops it's head up at random times. It's not showing a CLI or any details for the calls so trueCall isn't getting any information from the line so it doesn't know what category the calls should be placed for treatment. I believe the calls are coming from the BT exchange without any details of the number that has dialled so it can't even tag the calls withheld or unavailable so trueCall is having a fit because of it.

I don't think the issue is with the trueCall setup as it works all the times except these odd blips. The internet control panel isn't showing any details on the type of call being received but it is rejecting them all. Has anyone had any issues like this of has any ideas what is causing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Nothing like that has been reported on here before.

However, what I have said before still stands: trueCall support might be able to give you some useful input (and will be very interested in the data), and for specific people who need emergency contact in all situations there is the break-through option. The rejected caller treatment can still be set to voicemail as a safety net.

12. pierrot

pierrot Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    That is a very clear explanation, and I would send it to your service provider and TC support.

A search of the net reveals many issues with intermittent CLI.

Reasons have varied:

Line gain too low.
    Line noise too high.
    Cheap and nasty broadband line filter/splitter at master socket in house, or no line filter at all at master socket.
    CLI not activated (may still work most of the time even if not activated! . Dial code star ( * ), hash ( # ), 2, 3, 4, hash ( # ) (in other words, press the star button, then the hash button, then two, then three, then four, then the hash button) to check.
    Exchange line card fault.
    TCall unit faulty; check with TC support.

As suggested by others, I would definitely send your email to TC support first because they will respond the quickest.... and they are more technical than service provider call centre staff.

13. prlovesld

prlovesld Member

trueCall Model:
    Wales
    I will contact TC support I think the issue is more likely an exchange issue as it is so intermittent.

It makes no difference if the treatment is set to voicemail as all calls are rejected as it doesn't understand the information that's given so it rejects the calls. There is no work around so the unit can't be used just in case it happens when there is an emergency.

14. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Rejected calls cannot make it to voicemail? That sounds very peculiar, and starts pointing to the trueCall.

15. prlovesld

prlovesld Member

trueCall Model:
    Wales
    I'm not sure of your question, but as you can see in the internet panel screen, the calls are rejected so they aren't being dealt with by the trueCall system as it appears that it's not getting any usable data from BT. I think it is more likely that BT are not providing the data in the correct format which is why trueCall is rejecting the calls. As it's not happening all the time I would guess that there is a rogue card in the local exchange and It's not something that BT will look into as it is such a minor fault to them. I have updated the trueCall software which maybe able to convert all unrecognisable number formats into a withheld/unavailable number and therefore will be treated by the trueCall system rather than rejected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I am pretty sure trueCall would like to know about the conditions that are causing this. All calls, regardless of not having CLI or whatever, should fall within one of the categories for the trueCall unit to sort and direct - even if the direction is "pass through". Nothing should just get rejected out of hand.

But like I said, it could resolve to a faulty unit.

17. prlovesld

prlovesld Member

trueCall Model:
    Wales
    I have been in contact with trueCall support thanks